Game Night dress

Sunday, November 30, 2014
The Stitchy Details:

  • Challenge Theme: No challenge, Game Night party in Herräng
  • Pattern used: La Sylphide by Papercut Patterns
  • Fabric: Shiny sateen with playing card suit images + red sateen
  • Notions: Self-covered buttons
  • Did you make any pattern alterations or design changes? No
  • Total price: ~37 €
  • Time to complete: ~15 h (very much an estimate, as I was in a hurry and didn't really make statistics on the time...)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, this dress... I had this idea for the dress for the Game Night party at Herräng Dance Camp. And of course I started too late. As always. As you can see from the picture, I actually did wear it to the party (I didn't have anything else, mind), but I'm very skeptical that I will ever wear it again.

First, I was in a hurry and I did a muslin,  but I didn't really had time to alter anything and it wasn't half bad... Then, the sleeves. I really should've made them longer. With this fabric and my arms they just look weird. Also, the red, although a good idea, with this pattern, the whole dress just reminds me of a robe that Hugh Hefner might've worn. All in all I really didn't spend enough time with this. The rolled hem is in not really up to closer inspection either.

The buttons did turn out pretty well, and I will definitely use those again for other dresses. But also, it's good there is no zoom to the buttons as they are not straight in line... I'm also wondering about the whole pattern. I really liked what others have done with it, but maybe it's just not the pattern for me. Although I might try with shorter sleeves and omitting the bow. The fabric was cheap, however, and the scraps are usable for my lingerie projects.

We'll see, I wasn't really over the moon about this. Which is sad as I've looked at the Papercut designs and I love them. I might try this as a shirt version like Lauren did. I might try to fit this better too. I have a similar body shape to Lauren's and she has made the top part a lot more fitting than what's in the original pattern. That might work for me too. I won't throw the pattern away yet, but it might take awhile for me to return to it. And I will need to improve my alteration skills. Maybe this would be a good project for that :)

The party was fun, however, so it was not a total loss. Notice also the matching shoe laces. And I have improved in my hair skills as well since then (also longer hair helps). This was awhile ago, as the party was in the beginning of August. Such is life for a PhD student. I hope to have a bit more time to sew, but I'm not really stressing about it :)