My first new bathrobe in ~25 years!

Saturday, April 19, 2014

The frontThe Stitchy Details:

  • Challenge Theme: HabitRPG - UFO challenge
  • Pattern used: Jalie 2567
  • Fabric: Velour éponge
  • Notions: -
  • Did you make any pattern alterations or design changes? Added a loop for hanging 
  • Total price: 60 €
  • Time to complete: 13h

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I really wanted/needed a new bathrobe. I gave my old one away when I moved, because I wanted to have extra incentive for making a new one. The old one was really old. My mom bought it for me when I was a kid, so in the end of 80s... It was ok, but started to be not so comfortable as it was quite stiff from all the washing over the years.

I decided to do this for a challenge as well. In April, I joined the site called HabitRPG. This has improved my efficiency so much! I can make my life a game and all the annoying tasks give me rewards :) And I of course joined a sewing guild. And the April challenge is a UFO challenge. Which this one qualifies as I had started to trace the pattern...

CuttingThis was an easy project to get back into sewing. With all the stuff with the move and traveling for work, I haven't had much time to sew and starting with something I need to really fit, was daunting. This was great as it doesn't really need to fit, just be big enough.

My leg
The fluff was everywhere
Well, I started cutting the fabric and suddenly me and my whole room was covered in little fluff... The fabric is something called velour éponge, I have no idea what that is in English (or in Finnish), but it was pretty much the perfect bathrobe fabric.

2014-04-12 20.39.12Well, I didn't let that bother me too much and once I actually started sewing this was less of a problem. This was the first time I actually really used my dress form! Who I named Jane, by the way (because that was the first name that came up when I thought about this and hey: Jane Austen). I didn't really need a lot of fitting, but it was reassuring to measure things against the form and pin stuff in place.

Added loop for hangingThere are little details that I could've done better, but I think the skills only come with time and practice. I added a little loop in the middle inside, so that I can hang my robe in the bathroom. The sleeves are a bit long, but I did notice this in the construction stage and decided to keep them long, as if it's cold I can pull my hands inside. so that is intentional. All in all, I think this turned out very wearable.
Jane in bathrobeThe backThe side

1 comments:

ks gentry said...

I love the fabric that you selected! It makes a beautiful robe, maybe one day I will make one, but for now I will just enjoy yours.

Post a Comment